The Magic of Spray Paint - Slipcovered Grey The Magic of Spray Paint - Slipcovered Grey

The Magic of Spray Paint

Spray Painted Brass Bed

DIYing is painless these days… don’t you think?

With the internet and new products it gets

easier and easier to create one of a kind looks inexpensively.

We can have homes that speak our language while simply done on a budget

I am enjoying the magic of spray paint.

It is easy, quick, affordable, and can change the look of an item instantly.

Do you remember the vision for my son’s room that started here?

I wanted to purchase a Restoration Hardware bed,
but knew I could create a knock off instead.

Italian 50-Year-Wash Vintage Bedding Collection

Via Restoration Hardware

Then I saw this on Craigslist for a whopping $40.00

Craigslist Bed

and knew this heavy, old brass bed could be transformed

into the bed I envisioned for my son’s room.

Brass is creeping back into interiors and I am loving the look,

however for this room, I wanted an oil rubbed bronze finish.

Like magic, spray paint came to the rescue again.

I used Rust-Oleum Universal

Spray Paint Brass Bed

Metallic Paint and Primer.

For your convenience I’ve inserted an affiliate link here.

I cleaned this bad boy really good

and placed it on a tarp to start the spray painting process.

Spray Painted Brass Bed

Immediately it transformed into this.

Brass Bed

You probably know by now that creating dimension

is really important to me when painting.

I like layers and movement

I wanted a professional look and this spray paint

really gave the movement I was looking for.

Magic of Spray Paint

I love how it sparkles and creates a professional finish.

Here is a closeup…

Brass Bed Spray Painted

I used two coats to accomplish the task and achieve complete coverage.

It was really easy!

Brass Bed Spray Painted

There you have it!

Just like magic the brass bed was transformed into a Restoration Hardware Knockoff.

Pretty close, right?

Spray Painted Brass Bed

The reveal of this room can be seen here.

It’s been done for a while now,

but I wanted to show you all of the DIY projects before the reveal.

Have you used spray paint on a bed frame?

If you haven’t, are you itching to try it now?

Enjoy!

Every. Single. Moment.

Angie

Previous Post Next Post

34 Comments

• Betsy(@coastal-colors)

Angie, this looks fantastic! What a fabulous find! I love the new finish! You have been on a roll remodeling!

November 12, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reply

Thanks Betsy!

December 4, 2013 at 7:41 pm Reply
  • Karen @ Dogs Don't Eat Pizza

Looks great! I used that spray paint on a lamp (my tripod lamp) and I loved it for the same reasons you state above. It’s great paint! The bed looks beautiful now!

November 12, 2013 at 7:34 pm Reply
    • Angie

Thank you Karen! Your tripod lamp turned out so great – the paint is amazing!

December 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm Reply
  • terri phifer

Genius! Love this and can’t wait to see the bedroom reveal.

November 12, 2013 at 11:05 pm Reply

Thanks Terri! The reveal should be coming soon. 🙂

December 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reply
  • Anne Boykin

Hi Angie, The bed is awesome now that you painted it! Beautiful job.

November 13, 2013 at 6:03 am Reply
    • Angie

Thanks Anne. The paint is pretty great!

December 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reply
  • Julia

Angie, I LOVE IT! Can’t wait for the complete reveal.
    I, too, have been using that product in my new home. All the interior fixtures in this house are different from my last house. So I have been spraying my old random decorator items to match the new fixtures. 🙂 The 8 to 10 dollars per can shocked me at first, but I quickly realized it’s true value once I saw the results. Well worth the cost indeed!

November 13, 2013 at 10:20 am Reply
    • Angie

Definitely worth the expense – I would have to agree. The reveal will be coming soon!

December 4, 2013 at 7:47 pm Reply
  • Christina @ The Frugal Homemaker

This is gorgeous! Love it, Angie! You did a great job. (Now you have me wanting a brass bed to spray paint 😉

November 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reply

Thanks Christina! If I find another brass bed, I will let you know. 🙂

December 4, 2013 at 7:48 pm Reply
  • Miss Charming

Wow, that bed looks gorgeous, Angie! (And I can’t believe you found it at such a great price, too.) I can hardly wait to see the whole room reveal. You always create such beautifully designed rooms.

November 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm Reply
    • Angie

Ah… you are so sweet! The room reveal is coming very soon. 😉

December 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm Reply
  • Erin @ DIY On the Cheap

Looks great, Angie!

November 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm Reply

Thanks Erin!

December 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm Reply
  • Louise

Looks great! Just wondering how it has held up. Does it scratch easily?

July 10, 2014 at 5:10 pm Reply
    • Angie

It has held up great! I am very happy with it!

July 15, 2014 at 10:16 pm Reply
  • Louise

And approximately how many cans of paint for a double bed very similar to the one you painted. I can’t wait to get started!

July 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm Reply
    • Angie

Hi Louise! So sorry for my delayed response. If I remember correctly, it took me two cans to get a super nice finish. I am excited you are going to do it. You will have to let me know how it turns out.

July 15, 2014 at 10:14 pm Reply
      • Louise

I will! I’m going to do it next week if the weather permits.

July 25, 2014 at 9:00 am Reply
        • Angie

Looking forward to seeing it!

July 25, 2014 at 3:41 pm Reply
  • Erin

Great idea! Did you actually use the oil rubbed bronze colour? The bed in your picture appears more pewter in colour. Also, how has the paint held up over time? I hope to paint a very similar frame for my daughter, and am hoping for a pewter/ brushed nickel effect to match her dresser hardware.

July 18, 2014 at 7:57 am Reply
    • Angie

Hi Erin! I did use the oil rubbed bronze finish. The paint has held up great! I am pretty sure Rustoleum has a pewter/brushed nickel finish as well. I would definitely try it out, as I am very happy with it. Let me know what you decide to do. I would love to hear and see the final results.

July 22, 2014 at 7:05 pm Reply
  • Amy

Hello, do you think that spray paint would hold up on brass door knobs? All the knobs and hinges in our house are brass and are in much need of an upgrade. To replace all the hardware would cost quite a bit. Thoughts?

August 22, 2014 at 2:10 am Reply
    • Angie

Hi Amy, In my past home I spray painted my door knobs and hinges with this paint. I can’t tell you how long term it will hold up. Mine was good for six months before I moved. I did sand the knobs and hardware before spraying, and you may want to spray a clear protective coat over the spray paint to give extra durability. I didn’t spray a clear coat and they seemed to do okay for the 6 months. I really liked the look too, so it was worth it to me. And, it didn’t cost me a fortune as new hardware would.

August 22, 2014 at 2:27 pm Reply
      • Megan B.

I’m quite late to the discussion, but for DIYers like me I thought I’d chime in on my experience of durability. A decade ago, I spray painted my grandmother’s kitchen cabinet knobs with If I remember, nickle. They still look great. Granted, they are small and don’t get quite the wear of a traditional knob, but they do still get a good deal of wear, and it’s been a decade (wow, where did it go?)

March 14, 2015 at 9:20 pm Reply
  • Rilly

Is the oil rubbed bronze the color you used on that bed….it just doesn’t look bronze to me…looks more gray silver?

May 10, 2015 at 2:44 pm Reply
    • Angie

It is the oil rubbed bronze. I have heard this before, it may look more silver-grey online. It might depend on the computer I guess. It definitely is oil rubbed bronze here in person. Hmmm… If you decide to do this project and want the oil bronze look, the Rustoleum can top is really a dead on match to the color I acheived.

May 11, 2015 at 12:17 pm Reply
      • Racheal

Would it match a brown dresser

March 15, 2017 at 8:53 pm Reply
        • Angie

Hi Racheal, It might. You may want to look at the colors in person to make sure it is the right tone of brown you are looking for. This is one of my favorites for sure.

March 29, 2017 at 3:37 pm Reply
  • sandy

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

May 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm Reply
  • Peeny Bunutch

Hello. Do you know the history of the bed? I have the exact same one. All I know is my then bachelor Dad, got it at a garage sale in the late 60s, and the bed might be from the 1920s.

February 23, 2018 at 9:38 pm Reply
    • Angie

That is such a great question! I really don’t know the history, but would love to know if you ever find anything out about it. I purchased the bed off of Craigslist and loved the lines of it – how cool would it be if it is from the 1920’s?! Love that! Thanks so much and if I find any new info. out, I will let you know – you have me quite curious.

February 23, 2018 at 10:17 pm Reply