Have you ever had pieces of furniture you want to paint or update and never get around to it? It just isn’t a priority? Well, I have had these two side tables for years. I purchased them from IKEA over 10 years ago with all intention of painting them. We used them next to our king size bed and they were so dwarfed it was funny. They accomplished their need as night stands, but my son has a smaller room and I wanted to move them in his room and get something a little more size appropriate for the master bedroom.
So, after 10 years I figured they deserved a little updating.
I am loving the two toned sun-washed oak paired with dark iron and hardware. I am seeing this look everywhere – Ballard Designs, Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, and the list goes on. I thought I could accomplish this look with these tables. It didn’t seem too difficult, and believe me, it wasn’t. I shouldn’t have waited 10 long years.
Here is the transformation.
A little paint, stain, and elbow grease updated these boring tables into something a little easier on the eyes.
Dismantling the table was the only way to sand and stain the round discs properly. I decided to sand the varnish instead of stripping and it was a really easy process.
Once the discs were sanded I applied Rustoleum Varathane Stain in Sunbleached.
I am a fan of this color, it gives you a nice washed look with a little grey/taupe coming through.
I wanted to make sure the stain would hold up for many years to come, so I followed with 3 coats of Polyurethane making sure to lightly sand between coats.
The legs were painted with Annie Sloan, Graphite. I thought this would be the perfect color for the Sunbleached stain, but also coordinate with other colors in the room. I finished the legs with a coat of clear wax giving them a finished look.
I am happy with the end result. I have always loved the three tiered look of the tables, but never loved the original color.
Now they coordinate nicely in his room and have an updated look.
My son’s room is almost ready to be revealed to you.
There is a few more projects to go…
So far I shared these transformations and projects with you.
Now we have new night stands.
It is coming together…
It’s all DIY, reupholstered, painted, and created to make a comfortable room
on a little budget.
I hope you have enjoyed sharing this journey with me.
I sure love having you!